The Thylacine Archive
There is a great deal of archival material pertaining to the thylacine in various museum collections around the world (especially Tasmania). As well as historical newspaper clippings, sightings/reports etc. I hope to make much of this freely available online in the future. The taxon profile on the thylacine is currently incomplete, but contains much useful information. While our Facebook Group the Tasmanian Tiger Archives has over 1300 members, and by far the most historical content than any other group.
Section 1. Evolution and Prehistory
- Family: Thylacinidae
- Genus: Thylacinus
- Thylacine rock art
- Local Aboriginal names and beliefs
- Thylacines in Tasmanian aboriginal archaeology
- Fossil and subfossil thylacine distribution
- Thylacines and Dingoes
Section 2. European Perspectives
- Taxonomy and nomenclature
- The early European thylacine literature (1642-1850)
- 19th century thylacine photos
- The True Author of Thylacinus striatus "Warlow, 1833" (article)
Section 3. European Persecution
- Predator becomes prey (1851-1887)
- Government bounty scheme (1888-1912)
- Rise of the hyena (1913-1929)
- A living ghost (1930-1936)
Section 4. People and Expeditions, or, Post-Extinction?
Section 5. Publications and Extracts
- Newspaper articles
- Magazine articles
- Theses and Dissertations on the Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus)
- Jeremy Griffith's website hosts many hard to find thylacine publications.
- Non-fiction books on the thylacine.
- A list of cryptozoological publications on the thylacine
- Thylacines in fiction
Section 6. Popular Entertainment